Amel’s Garden (2012)
Amal and Mustafa have shared a long life together in northern Iraq. When Amal decides to finally renovate their home after a decade of war, Mustafa retreats to the garden, where he encounters the curious gaze of his grandniece and her camera. An intimate rendering of life at the boundary of destruction and renewal.
- Dubai International Film Festival - Dubai, UAE, Dec 6-14 2012 [World Premiere]
- Cinema du Reel - Paris, France, March 21-31 2013 [European Premiere]
- Bird’s Eye View - London, England, April 3-10 2013
- Gulf Film Festival - Dubai, UAE, April 11-17 2013
- Ars Independent Film Festival - Katowice, Poland, Sept. 20-29, 2013
- Roxie Theater - San Francisco, California, Dec. 5, 2014
- Arab American National Museum - Dearborn, Michigan, March 8, 2014
- AFAC Film Week, Cinema Metropolis - Beirut, Lebanon, March 6, 2014
- Spectacle Cinema - Brooklyn, New York, Sept. 21, 2014
- Mizna’s Twin Cities Arab Film Festival - Minneapolis, Minnesota, Nov. 9, 2014
I love Nadia’s artistic and musical aesthetic, moving this film away from being a journalistic documentary to a more heartfelt experiential film.